Saturday, June 23, 2007

First Time

For someone who's been writing most of her life, professionally on and off for seven years, I'm pretty slow on the uptake. This is my first blog, my first entry, and for some reason I feel as exposed as in those nasty recurring dreams about public restrooms with no walls.

Perhaps I have said too much, already.

My goal is, as is likely the case with most bloggers, mostly self-serving. I intend to put as much of my writing out there as possible, in the vain hope of affecting someone, at the very least having a reader or two. I want to be a better writer. I would love to make a little money somewhere down the road. I want someone to tell me something that I write is good. (note: Writers attempt to appear altruistic, of course, but our egos are as big as the next guy's -- likewise the insecurities.)

On the other hand, blogging is also about community, and that's intriguing, too. Writing can be a lonely lot, especially for those of us who did not immerse ourselves in the writing life early on. Instead, I studied half-heartedly and went about my life, eventually fell into the professional (heading a community newspaper, completely by accident), and then wandered away again. Trying to find my way back, and connect with other like-minded folks on the way. This seems like a good place to start.

So here I am. My future posts will be much more interesting and much less self-involved. Well, maybe.

At any rate, the first one's out of the way. Perhaps this means I won't have those dreams anymore.

I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Kristen King, Inkthinker said...

Congrats on the new blog! I can already tell I'm going to love it. :]

kk