Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Esquire Magazine Quote I Enjoyed Today

I love Esquire. Yup, not a guy. But I prefer it by a mile to the female-targeted counterparts like Glamour, Cosmo, etc. Because Glamour and Cosmo don't make me laugh, ever. Esquire does. A lot.

My favorite quote thus far from this month's Esquire, from the always enjoyable "What I've Learned" section:

"A lot of people like to fool you and say that you're not smart if you never went to college, but common sense rules over everything. That's what I learned from selling crack."

-- Snoop Dogg, Rapper, 36, Los Angeles

He had me up to that last part. But, he's actually right . . .

1 comment:

ColinJ said...

I've recruited and appointed alot of people to management and high-level positions and I know there's simply way too much emphasis on degrees. A degree should certainly set you up if you do well at college and help get you your first few jobs/positions. But after that it becomes almost irrelevant (to me as an employer anyway). When someone attends a job interview, I am alot more interested in what they've achieved since they left college and how they perform during the interview.

As a general rule, I won't even bother looking at a college degree of a mature-age job applicant. There are some exceptions to this of course, particularly for women who have left the workforce, maybe a few times which has stalled their career (moreso than what most male employers realize I think). And certainly you will sometimes find graduates who have just never been given a real shot since college. But, there are plenty of really bright and talented people out there without degrees who bring a whole lot more to the table than just "common sense". Alot of people with degrees just don't believe this could be possible.....I know I know!

So...I just want the best person for the job, and if they are, then they'll get it. Anything else has always seemed irresponsible to me (and unfair). That said, I am certainly in the minority on this I know. And as for "which college" someone went to being a consideration for getting a job or being considered a measure of their smarts...don't even get me started on that!